26 June 2007

Some Thoughts and Contemplations

This post has pretty much absolutely nothing to do with Scard, except for the Science fictioniness.

I have been packing up for college the last few days, and my books that aren't on shelves have taken up a contest of which stack is the tallest. The winners are the Star Wars books, by the way. I was lying in my bed last night watching these huge stacks, the Star Wars stack, the Frank Herbert stack, the Heinlein stack (you get the point). So I have read the Dune series up to God Emperors of Dune, and I have read Star Wars kinda randomly but thoroughly, and I am staring at these piles of books thinking about Paul and Anakin. In the beginning I was only comparing what Paul would have done in Anakin's place, since they are both prescient(they can see the future) it made sense to ask said questoin. At first I was thinking Paul would not have made the same mistakes. I thought Paul was different from Anakin, then I started comparing the two...well...they are sooo alike it's weird. Tatooine and Dune could be the exact same place. Both live in the desert with only their mothers, and are married to someone that is not really accepted as their wife. Chani has to defer to Irulan and Anakin can't marry Padme...even though he does. Both are prescient and take what they know of the future to be absolutely certain, and make impacting decisions based on what they know. Both are seen as "chosen ones" Paul is the Kwisatz Haderach and Anakin is the Chosen One. Both have twins-a boy and a girl, and both of the wives die after their twins are born. And both of them leave after (or slightly before) they are born. It's amazing. Stilgar is basically Obi Wan and everything is so equal. And that means Luke is Leto!!!

Hope you enjoyed my random similarities between Star Wars and Dune!