14 June 2007

Speaker for the Dead

Today, I was at a funeral. First, let me say that everything ran smoothly and rightly. Second, and more importantly, I would like to comment on what was said. All the talks were given by family and were very wonderful. As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints I can testify about the difference between an LDS funeral and just about anything else. For us everything is about celebrating the life of the deceased person rather than weep over their death. There is reason behind this, but my point is that for members of the LDS church death is not a very sad thing. The focus is how the person lived. Sound familiar? Orson Scott Card is a Mormon and the whole Speaking thing is probably a direct result of this upbringing. Of course I believe he says that in the introduction of Speaker (I think).

I am proud to say "good job" to a one Mr. Card. Thanks!