20 June 2007

My First Book Review: Listen, Mom and Dad

Yes, I am an amateur, but here goes(as promised). There are two ways to critic this book, as a Mormon, and as a reader of OSC. So here goes nothing.
Basic overview- Six composite characters tell of their experiences with their parents, the good, the bad, and the spiritual. All the stories are TRUE, but are not from one set person.

#1-(LDS) A very sentimental and touching book. The stories are wonderful and you learn alot. This book provides a lot of insight for the children's point of view. Some very good testimony/spiritual moments, that I enjoyed the most. You really try to relate to one of the people, which is difficult because they are completely raw characters, but at times such things are possible.

#2-(OSC) Now these are normal book characters-but because the events are not of Scard's control, the character development that is typical of OSC's novels is different. I mean the first to chapters are short and kind of fillerish. They don't even sound like Scard-they remind me of a biography or an encyclopedia. But later everything comes to rights and we see how a character became what he or she is. The topic of the novel is kinda like outdated by now (I mean I learned most of this stuff in psychology class) but let's face it-- it was worth the read.

Ta-da! That's all you get, but never fear there will be more...there's always more. Hope you liked it, and please leave many comments (I am gettin' tired of askin') Ahhscard!