07 July 2007

Two Sides of the Same Coin

In the chapter entitled Valentine of Ender's Game, Val talks about Ender and Peter being opposite sides of the same coin. That is how I feel about reading a book, especially from an author like Scard. Either you like it/enjoy it or you despise it. I feel fortunate that I can read Ender's Game and other novels without the preconception that it will be worthless. Now I've personally have NOT met someone who utterly despised OSC or Ender's Game, but if you venture on the internet long enough you'll find they exist.
People who feel like it is their duty to spread the truth about Scard or the message of Ender's Game. I feel really sorry for people like Elaine Radford and John Kessel who find nothing beautiful in Ender's Game; who desire to share their disillusions with us all. I often wonder what people like these thought of Ender's Game before they read it. What misconception did they have before reading that made them hate something I love so dearly. I just don't know. I personally feel sorry for them, I wish they could enjoy Ender's Game like I have. If you haven't read the two pieces I am talking about one is on the internet, Creating the Innocent Killer and the other is published in a magazine, Ender and Hitler. I hope you read them with your heart.

I can only finish the thought with one said by Ender, "The funny thing about coins is, when one side is up, the other is down."